The Academy Awards is the toniest night in America and by that I mean the most extravagant, lavish, sinfully expensive night in the world. In a time when we’re revolted by how the 1% live, we gladly indulge in one night of voyeuristic fantasy into their world. For that one night, we pretend to sit at the table with them and be a part of the glitterati.
Since I’ve reserved a seat on my well-worn couch, I decided to find out what the menu was for this evening of decadent delights. Wolfgang Puck has put together a menu to die for and as any Top Chef afficonado know, plating is just as important as taste, so it’s a visual feast as well.
I thought the menu would be as secret and guarded as the award winners but there it was on Esquire’s food blog.
• Maki Rolls: Spicy Tuna, Sweet Shrimp, Crab, Vegetable
• Nigiri: Tuna, Sweet Shrimp, Yellowtail, Salmon, Snapper
• Sashimi: Tuna, Yellowtail, Salmon, Snapper
• Cucumber Salad, Edamame, Wasabi, Soy, and Pickled Ginger
• Shrimp, Oysters, and Crab
• Cocktail Sauce, Mustard Sauce, and Mignonette
• Smoked Salmon on Oscar® Flatbread with Caviar and Crème Fraiche
• Spicy Tuna Tartare in Sesame Miso Cones with Masago
• Mini Kobe Cheeseburger with Remoulade and Aged Cheddar
• Taro Root Taco with Smoked Lobster, Avocado, and Pickled Jalapeno
• Crispy Rice with Hamachi, Yuzu Aioli, Soy, and Edamame
• Quince Truffle Crisp
• Black Truffle Pizza with Ricotta and Thyme
While my fare won’t be quite as fancy, it’ll look pretty (thanks again, Pinterest) and surely more filling than Puck’s menu. Even on their biggest night out looks like the size zero stars stick to their protein rich, carb free diets. However, I have a feeling they will indulge in the gold (yes 24k gold) covered chocolate shaped like Oscar statues.
But, I still think grilled, sauteed greens, Cajun shrimp and a blueberry fizzy drink will be just as tasty, plus I can have seconds, only have to use one fork and won’t have to keep checking to see if a piece of spinach gets caught between my teeth.